Thursday, June 9, 2011

Confronting Fear

Sometimes in Life we are forced to confront our fears.
Spiders.  Snakes.  Climbing a tall stair-case where each stair is open.
I don't like shows that people take great risks just to win big money:  Fear Factor,
for example,
does absolutely nothing to entertain me. 
The Stairway Mountain drive in Canon City, Colorado--wasn't exactly thrilling for me either. 
What types of things do you fear?  Do you have someone who usually helps you to find perspective on the things you fear?  My husband often says 'it's no big deal'--we will be at the top of that mountain before you know it. 
Ascending the Eiffel Tower in the rain seemed like a risky adventure.
Visions of the Chevy CHase movie, European Vacation kept entering my mind.  The images of everything that could go wrong and did in that fictional movie.

In your life--what helps you confront your fears?  My fears seem to be diminished by an advocate a buddy by my side.  An encourager.  As a Christian, we often talk about the Holy Spirit as the Advocate that God gives us to live and breathe in our lives.  An accompanier.  Sort of like an Accompanier of Peace that stands alongside of people in places of injustice and distress (Columbia, the Middle East, etc).  At a crux in the road, the Spirit can give me wisdom and do my breathing for me--even when life and fears seem to take my breath away.

Pastor Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment